Friday, March 3, 2023

A dog changed my life (1)

Its hard to think that this little pup, adopted on the spur of the moment, completely changed the direction of my life.
In this first blog I will explain how that came about.
12 years ago I was without a pet animal in my life. I was 63, single, no children, a heavy smoker, overweight, unfit, unemployed and living off savings and with no clear idea where my life was headed. 
Completely on a whim, I adopted a 3 month old pup. I didn't shop around. I didn't research. I hadn't been considering it. But there I was facing a litter of 6 puppies. I made the instant decision, and picked out the one who seemed lively and alert - characteristics I came to question on many an occasion ever since.

Jodi is a cross between a pedigree border collie mother and a pig dog father from a neighbouring property. The pig dog bit is rather hard to define. It is a mix of breeds with specific characteristics for pig hunting. They need to be fast, strong, instinctual, intelligent. Pit bull, bull terrier, hunterway are some of the breeds used, depending on the job required. In Jodi's case I would definitely say one of the terrier breeds and perhaps huntaway.
From the outset this little pup was stroppy, fast, not housetrained, answered back, not into lots of cuddling, inquisitive, and with endless energy.
Wow, what a challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment