Sunday, March 5, 2023

A dog changed my life (2)

So, Jodi wasn't the first dog in my life. In my mid 20s, living in rural Scotland, a friend turned up at my cottage one day with a little black puppy. It was a ploy to persuade me to live permanently in Scotland -  but that is another long story of:
. minor aristocracy, 
. pheasant shooting, 
. Paratroopers, 
. a castle who's name is the same as a paddock on one of Gisborne's backcountry sheep stations, 
. bagpipes serenades,
. a poacher who arrived in NZ as a stowaway,
and so much more...

Freddy was a labrador, whippet cross. He was sweet, biddable and easy to accommodate into my life. I ended up bringing him back to Aotearoa New Zealand when he was about a year old. He lived for about 16 years, going everywhere with me.
Then it wasn't until many years later, when I was in my 50s that I inherited my younger brother's dog, a golden labrador, called Nikki, brother having gone to Australia to live and work. I can't remember how old she was but she was with me for about 3-4 years, until she succumbed to cancer. She was perhaps the most gentle, sweetest natured dog I had ever known. Textbook perfect!! With her I acquainted myself with some of the many wonderful dog walking areas.


I introduced Jodi to my well-fenced quarter acre section in Stoke, Nelson. An area that should  have been perfectly adequate for a pup. But the extensive planting of fruit and vegetables and the addition of a large fenced-off chook run started to seem way too small. So many precious plants were dug up and replaced with burried bones. 
We needed to head out into the great outdoors!


No comments:

Post a Comment